FUTURE EMERGING & MODERN AGRICULTURE IN CATALONIA Agriculture in the 21st century faces multiple challenges: it has to produce more food and fiber to feed a growing population with a smaller rural labour force, more feedstocks for a potentially huge bioenergy market,adopt more efficient and sustainable production methods and adapt to climate change. After more than one decade, FEMAC has decided to integrate a Smart Specialization Strategy in the Cluster to better respond to complex Agricultural development challenges through the following approaches:
- Rejuvenating farm machinery sector through higher value-added activities and new market niches;
- Modernizing by adopting and disseminating new technologies (KETs) like photonics, electronics and GIS & GPS
- Developing new economic activities through radical technological change and breakthrough innovations; and
- Exploiting new forms of innovation such as open and user-led innovation, social innovation and service innovation.
To be able to accost it, in 2015, FEMAC is launching a new Strategic Plan to become the Agricultural Production Means Cluster, including other linkage sectors related to the same agricultural value chain , not only to gain the enough critical mass as a cluster but also to improve their connections and cooperation with other regions, clusters and innovation players.
FEMAC, the companies and a sustainable agriculture Our bet ” Develop and implement projects that combine the capabilities and vision of cluster companies with sustainable solutions for global agriculture”
Our proposal B e c a m e a r e f e r e n c e c l u s t e r W o r l d w i d e “
Strategic Lines The Catalan Cluster of Agricultural Production Means aims to improve the competitiveness of Catalan firms as well as firms involved in their value chain activities. The Cluster, lead by the Association of Manufacturers and Exporters of Agricultural Machinery in Catalonia, [FEMAC] is based on three main strategic axis :
- COOPERATION: In the same strategic segment and share common competitive challenges
- INNOVATION: In value activities
- INTERNATIONALIZATION: Of commercial business and productive structures
CLUSTER TEAM ASSIST IN MANY AREAS OF PROJECT DEVELOPMENT : INNOVATION PROJECTS • Consultation on project ideas (alternative opportunities for new products, new process and new strategies) • Search for suitable project partners • Assiting and managing the applications for regional, state and EU funding • Taking care of the submission of the application for support • Networking and workshops INTERNASIONALISATION PROJECTS
- Developing strategies and competencies for increasing international market share
- Identifying partners and developing cooperative (and commercially valuable relations internationally )
- Managing international activities (Trade Fairs, Commercial Missions, Internasionalization Groups)
TRANSFER TECHNOLOGY PROJECTS The development objective of the Agricultural Technology Transfer Projects managed by FEMAC Cluster, is to develop and test innovative models for agricultural technology transfer and application aimed to generate additional farm income in developing countries with a potential for scaling up.